Smooz, a gesture-centric mobile browser that enables swift one-handed operation and more, announced its global launch.
Tokyo, Japan – February 27, 2018 – Smooz is a gesture-based mobile browser that supports smooth one-handed operation. This app that offers desktop-class tab navigation on mobiles will be available globally from today.
This next-generation mobile browser offers a fresh and unique browsing experience with its gesture-based navigation, tab manager, customizable gesture controls that trigger a multitude of functions, and social media convergence. Smooz won the “Best Apps of 2016” in the Japan App Store and raised $1 million from venture capitalists and angel investors in two early rounds.
“The reason we created Smooz is very simple. The lack of reinvention of mobile browsers is a pity,” said Yuichi Kato, Founder and CEO of Smooz. “The mobile version of Safari was introduced with the original iPhone in 2007. People spend so much time browsing, but shockingly, browsers haven’t undergone any innovation for over 10 years. Smooz is all set to change it.”
Smooz’s numerous features include, but are not limited to:
- Hold link to open the website in a new tab
- Customizable gestures activate numerous functions such as opening bookmarks, switching, swiping, closing a tab, and many more
- Private mode to browse without recording browsing/search history and cookies
- Quick access to visit a user’s favorite websites
- Pin tabs for quick and easy access
- Sync bookmarks across multiple devices by integrating the one-touch login of Facebook or Twitter without any privacy issues
- Auto Tab Management that automatically closes inactive tabs within the user’s preferred timeframe (iOS only)
- AI-powered predictive search that suggests keywords before users type them (iOS only)
- Word-scanner that scans keywords in the text to search for them instantly (iOS only)
- Image and QR searches directly with 3D touch (iOS only)
According to Counterpoint Research’s Global Daily User Behavior survey, mobile users spend the most time browsing the Internet – more than playing games, making voice calls and messaging. Regardless, there hasn’t been major reform in the ways users browse the web.
“Mobile browsers have become akin to search result vending machines where you type in keywords and just see the top results. However, we believe the browsing experience needs to be far more immersive, captivating and experiential. By making every bit of navigation smooth and seamless, Smooz makes the overall experience of searching for information much more entertaining,” said Kato.
Smooz was developed with a mission to innovate the mobile web browsing experience within the evolving webosphere. Smooz can be downloaded here.
About Astool Inc.:
Astool is a startup founded in March 2016 by Yuichi Kato, a former product manager at Sony, Viber and Rakuten. With the mission of extending human capabilities by creating tools for the future, the company launched Smooz in September 2016 having raised $1 million from VCs and angel investors in 2 early rounds.
About Yuichi Kato:
Yuichi Kato is an entrepreneur and product creator who has developed consumer software/hardware products throughout his career. He taught himself how to code in 2012 in his spare time and created numerous apps. One of those, TennisCore was awarded the “Best of Apple Watch Apps” in 2015. Smooz followed in 2016, winning the “Best of 2016” in the Japan App Store. While Kato launched several other applications only on the Japan App Store, this indie developer has gone global with the overwhelming success of Smooz.
Name: Yuichi Kato